Sunday, January 04, 2004

The Da Vinci Code

I just finished reading this book last night. While I found it predictable and formulaic at times, for the most part it was really difficult to put down. It was the closest thing to a modern Sherlock Holmes story that I think I've read. As a matter of fact, I can think of a few parallels to A Study In Scarlet: a murder; an overarching mystery framing many smaller puzzles; and most notably, a fascinating disclosure of secret societies and religions. A few years ago I started doing a lot of research on the origins of Christianity -- I still have a lot of unread books on the topic. I also started retyping and cataloging all my old art history notes -- I think I made it into the high Middle Ages before my ardor for that undertaking wilted. After reading this book I feel like kick-starting both of those projects. Anybody have any ideas on how much of the religious and historical theories behind Dan Brown's novel were fiction, if any?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regarding your question about whether the theories and histories behind Dan Brown's novel are real. I am sure you know that there are several books which are written as a response to the Da Vinci Code. I too enjoyed the book and nearly read it in one sitting. However, many of the histories and theories are simply false. For example, the Priory of Sion itself is not as represented by Dan Brown, and the historical/biblical references to Mary Magdalene do not lead one to conclude that Mary and Jesus were married. Moreover, when various references and accounts of Jesus were compiled into a cohesive Bible, some were not eliminated out of a conspiracy to eliminate women from power but because the included writings were the accepted, overwhelming and mainstream beliefs.