Friday, January 09, 2004

Big Fish

I felt like I wanted to cry but I didn't. As with many of Tim Burton's films, I found his latest offering lacking in emotional resonance. It was a bit too predictable, and a bit too simple for my palate. I wished for more of an arc in the main character, more depth of character in general, and just some good old fashioned melodramatic punch. Every once in while I like to get punched in the belly by a film: I want my heartstrings to get yanked, and I want to leave the theater a quivering mess. Tim Burton just can't do that for me. His films are visually driven, which I can definitely dig...but why not make stunning eye-candy that also touches the heart. On the Burton scale, I would say this film rated better than Planet of the Apes and Sleepy Hollow, but not quite as magically touching as Edward Scissorhands or as funny as Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Ouch, I can't finish this review because I'm too hungry.

No comments: