Friday, January 30, 2009

Kogi Korean BBQ To Go


street life taco style-68, originally uploaded by kogibbq.

Last night I decided it was time to sample L.A.'s newest gastronomic fad, marinated and barbecued Korean meat wrapped in tacos and sold from a truck. It was actually Dnice, recently transplanted from the east coast, who educated me on the fusion street fare after hearing about it on Good Food last weekend.

As ludicrous as it sounds, I stood in a line of over a hundred food fiends on Wilshire and Cloverdale for 90 minutes. After the first 20 I was committed; I had made the effort to drive out to the Miracle Mile at 22:00 on a school night, and anyway all I had at home was cereal and milk. Luckily I had the latest Radiolab podcast to keep me company, and at around 23:30 I finally got to have my photo taken and place my order for 3 tacos -- tofu, spicy pork, and spicy BBQ Chicken.

The tacos were delectable -- beautifully textured toppings wedded flawlessly with the tangy, spicy meat; the overall mouthfeel was pinguid and yet perfectly crisp. As my friend Tom pointed out today, however, nothing short of ambrosia could fully satisfy after an hour and a half in the cold, but Kogi came close -- it could very well be the late night drunk food of the gods.

I can't wait for the fad to pass so I can get this toothsome treat without the long wait.

3 comments:

web ninja said...

I didn't know they had tofu and chicken, damn I would have come (5 minutes before you got to the head of the line)

G said...

Ooh yum! I heard about this and want to try them out...but geez that line!

By the way, I AM going to continue with the blog, but maybe just keep it a bit censored on my everyday life. It's a start :) Thanks for the note...

Unknown said...

the alibi room (http://www.alibiroomla.com/home.php) on the westside serves kogi m-f :) so you can avoid the long kogi truck lines. personally, i think the tacos are overrated...