Sunday, October 09, 2005

Stan/Guatemala

I've gotten several IMs and emails in the past few days inquiring about my location and whether or not I was affected by the floods and rains spawned by Hurricane Stan. I'm okay. My Saturday flights were cancelled, but I did make it out. I'm currently on the West End of the island of Roatan in Honduras. I flew in today after getting 2.5 hours of sleep last night -- I had to be at the airport in Guate at 0400 this morning after my last day of work in 4 Grados Norte. I feel like I have jetlag and I'm still in the same timezone. But after flying from Guate to Tegucigalpa, then to San Pedro Sula, then on to La Ceiba, and finally to Roatan, I've arrived safe, which is more than I can say for many back in Guatemala. I have dozens of photos that I took in the town of Santiago de Atitlan, on the shores of the lake that Aldous Huxley described as "the most beautiful lake in the world". I'll upload them to my Buzznet gallery when I return to Los Angeles next weekend -- pictures of markets, churches, Tzutujil children playing in the street or selling bracelets to tourists, Mayan women balancing impossibly large baskets on their heads. As I look at them now in my camera, I wonder if the faces I see are still there, if they haven't been buried by mud and water. I'm sad and I'm a little sick. I'm taking three different antiparasitics/antibiotics, which the doctor prescribed for me after learning that two different protozoa have invaded my digestive tract. The color of my piss is so saturated that it's almost green. It's the color of a highlighter marker. It looks like a yellow laser beam shooting out of my dick. But I'm okay. Thanks for asking.

No comments: